Wednesday, January 14, 2015

In the Wake of Charlie

     Just one week has passed since the fatal shootings of the staff of Charlie Hebdo. A world stood appalled and angry at the blatantly hate-filled event. As we should. And for a moment we all became Charlie.

My Facebook page was awash with startling pictures and videos accompanied with commentary by pundits and trumpeters, sympathizers and haters. My local news stations were rife with commentary of their own, in spite of other (some might say even greater) attrocities going on in other countries. 

Somehow this tragedy felt closer to home. It felt like it affected us all, where we live. Most of us hold very dear the belief that "freedom of speech" and "freedom of the pen" are sacred constitutions that need to be upheld with an unquestioned absolutism. 

The truth is that we gave up the absolute nature of these credos long ago. Hate crime is understood (at least in the developed world) as intolerable. Whether it be neo-Nazi swastikas, KKK literature or bullying on the internet, our words and our writings need to be self-monitored, held up to a human standard where we can all feel safe in spite of our differences. We do not have an unrestricted freedom of speech or the pen and for this I am grateful. 

In the wake of Charlie I did a little research of my own. I'd never heard of Charlie Hebdo or their satirical cartoons. What I found was disturbing. No religion, political party or institution was safe from ridicule or derision in the sketched form. Charlie Hebdo tread where most of us would be afraid to go. And, I suppose, this explains their support. They had the courage to say what many of us only think or share in closed circles. It does, although, teeter on the brink of hate - at least in the eyes of those whose religion, politics or moral standards have been attacked. (Some of you will choose to disagree on this and I respect that). 

I, personally, don't hold to any one religious credo. I abhor the misuse of power like anyone does. I stand firmly against any radical group that takes matters into their own hands by force and I am, often-times, appalled at what's going on in my world. I fear for the loss of our freedoms. But, at the end of the day, I DO believe in RESPECT. 

I may not like what your religion subscribes to but, if it works for you and it doesn't demoralize or kill, I respect that. I may not like the way a country runs their politics but, if human life is respected, I respect that too. 

What appears to be at the heart of the Charlie Hebdo attack was not merely a radicalized dislike of the cartoons by the Muslim community, it was the depiction, or worse yet, the slanderous depiction of their beloved prophet Muhammad. Muslims (or at least the radical ones) believe that ANY depiction of their prophet is immoral due to his sacred nature. At this most of us scoff. Is any man or deity so sacred that he/she cannot be portrayed in a picture? I don't get it, but then I don't have to. I can still respect it. And that is where Charlie Hebdo knowingly and continually crossed a line. 

There is so much more to this story, I know. But I am choosing to address only this one small part because, to me, respect for others' beliefs is integral to real change. I understand that at times there is a need for force. We all agree that Hitler and other tyranical leaders may need to be eliminated by force. They leave us no choice. But I can't help but wonder, if we all demonstrated respect for each other in areas where human safety is not at risk, could we avoid such senseless attacks? 


The Pen is Mightier than the Sword. To many, it is a weapon of threat. The fight began with a pen and was retaliated with guns and like any Hatfields and McKoys tale, it will only escalate out of control until generations down the road they won't even remember its origins - just the hatred.

I am NOT Charlie. Although I don't condone this brutal attack neither will I knowingly disrespect someone's beliefs. It's not the only answer but it's a start. It's a standard that I, as a fellow human being, can uphold. 




No comments:

Post a Comment